Wednesday, May 18, 2011

MY FM iPhone app sucks shit

I have been pondering this since last week and at last I decided that I have to say my piece or I will continue to not shit comfortably. Yes, this MY FM radio app disturbs me this much. To flesh out my points I am putting numbers to the UI elements that which I think made this app sucks shit.

But before we proceed, let me just say that I love this app. I was a daily listener to MyFM many years back when I was living in KL and driving to work with MyFM is a daily thing. I don't understand all the Cantonese but I understand enough to laugh along.

This app is a radio streaming app and it appears that MY FM is using radioactive.sg service for the content steaming. This client might just be a generic app that radioactive.sg provides along with the streaming service. But boy the UI doesn't do MY FM justice at all. If you are radioactive.sg and appreciate my criticism, then please contact me -- I hope I can provide some sort of help.

Now lets get on to the shit.


First you can get the app here. While you are on the page, check out the comments, generally ppl are saying this app is a fantastic app. I agree. Just that the UI makes it sucks shit. Now on startup, everything looks nice and cool. I like the little Bruce Lee with the crap helmet. Thumbs up!


Then things go downhill from there.

  1. Notice the MY FM logo? It's not supposed to be here. In fact it's confusing why it's part of the "tab". Logo lives in titleView -- the top center bar, see #2.
  2. "Player" title is seriously, re***** -- I don't know, something doesn't look right here. I am thinking the designer got lazy, and rather go home early than say, not design shit. I suggest the logo be put here. But well that's just my opinion.
  3. "Background". Wtf is that? Oh wait, something about using Safari to access the site. Well whatever, I am getting some MySQL error. I know it's getting repetitious, but this button is shitty. Get rid of it.
  4. I don't even want to talk about the "twitter" icon here. When I got to this screen, the icons looks blurry and shitty. Get rid of it.
  5. The "i" info screen is also another sucks shit section -- you can safely ignore it. This is also the part where you found out that either Airtime Mangement and Programming Sdn Bhd did the app, or radioactive.sg got the job done. I don't know, since this app is shitty, I recommend you stay clear of them.
Well, so far so good. Erm, I mean, yes it's good enough except I don't hear anything. Something is not right. Oh well, lets proceed anyway.


 So, now if you go to "Stations" and select "MY FM" you will come to the screen above. At this point I realized that the tabbar doesn't look native. Probably this app was done using phonegap or one of those Adobe thingy. I don't know, it sucks shit, and I only have one advise at this point -- go learn the damn Xcode and use the controls properly! Geez.
  1.  Now, first off, I thought the "Call" button is a good feature. And no harm if they could add a SMS button too. However, being used to proper button, the leveled bevel look is confusing. I didn't know it's a button and took me few seconds to figure out it's a button. Well, you know, I have been saying -- this app sucks shit. Also, go check out the book, Don't Make Me Think: A Common Sense Approach to Web Usability, 2nd Edition
  2. Email button is fine, but the usual complain here, the button is a shitty leveled or pressed bevel button. Real button doesn't look like this. I suggest the designer go press a few buttons with the native iPhone app and try again. Seriously.
  3. I like the big "Listen Live" button, but with all the fuckups, this is like finding a single piece of toilet paper left in a dirty toilet. But it's Ok. This app can try to win the "Shitty App" category.
  4. Now, if there's is anything, anything wrong at all in this screen, it has to be this "Back" button. This "Back" button represent all that is wrong with this app -- they got it wrong so bad it sucks shit. I will keep it short -- PUT THE DAMN "BACK" BUTTON AT THE TOP LEFT CORNER. You know, like how the rest of the app universe works. Seriously, Apple need to buff up their review team. If I am Steve Jobs, I would yank the fucker doing the review of this app and tell him in slow calm voice, "You disgraced Apple".

    Ok, I got bored, but I guess you get my point. It's basically sucky in UI but it has the goods. Still...


    Lets rethink the app for a moment. MY FM is a radio app and really all we want is to tune in to the live radio stream. Cut out the rest of the stuff. Just the radio.

    I ripped off some radio app and spent like 20 mins "redesign" it for MY FM, and I present to you the super-lite MY FM app. Now if I could figure out how to hook into the radioactive.sg stream, I could probably create the whole app, but for now, this is what I think is good and shit-free. I mean, it's basically featureless so what the hell can be so sucky about it? But who knows, if you agree or disagree, drop me a line. Cheers.

    *PS I love MY FM. :-)



    1 comment:

    Anonymous said...

    Can I get the source code of your App. If yes, please send me at
    jeewanary@yahoo.com

    Thank you so much.
    Jeewan