Wednesday, October 31, 2007

New Adventure with GWT

Now everyone knows I like to try out new technologies, especially if it has to do with Java, web, and agile way of doing things. I just finished messing around with ExtJs 2.0 and I got one word -- please wait for the final release, unless you have plenty of time on ya hands.

Over the weekends I also tried out with Mootools and JQuery. This is after realizing Prototype is not so cool anymore, particularly when I found myself constantly wishing I can chain some effects together without using queue. So I digg out some examples with JQuery and chaining. JQuery is a clear winner here, though Mootools Fx stuff is very cool. But I'll blog about them next time.

Today I want to remind myself that programming is hard, no matters what Grails or Spring framework, or ExtJs or whater frameworks flavor of the day. Having hand code most of the AJAX stuff lately, I began to wonder if there's a better way to do things. So I took a break and look up Ajaxian. I found out about GWT 1.4 release.

Well why not. So I downloaded the 1.4.60 release for Linux, unzip it and run the samples according to the get started guide. And I got this:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: /mnt/windows/files/gwt-linux-1.4.60/libswt-pi-gtk-3235.so: /mnt/windows/files/gwt-linux-1.4.60/libswt-pi-gtk-3235.so: failed to map segment from shared object: Operation not permitted at java.lang.ClassLoader$NativeLibrary.load(Native Method) at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary0(ClassLoader.java:1751) at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary(ClassLoader.java:1647) at java.lang.Runtime.load0(Runtime.java:770) at java.lang.System.load(System.java:1005) at org.eclipse.swt.internal.Library.loadLibrary(Library.java:132) at org.eclipse.swt.internal.gtk.OS.(OS.java:22) at org.eclipse.swt.internal.Converter.wcsToMbcs(Converter.java:63) at org.eclipse.swt.internal.Converter.wcsToMbcs(Converter.java:54) at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.(Display.java:126) at com.google.gwt.dev.GWTShell.(GWTShell.java:264)

At 1.30 AM, I googled in vain for the solution so I posted up in the GWT Groups hoping for an answer by the time I come into office tomorrow morning. Morning came and hours passed, nobody gives a shit to my plea for help there.

Well no matters, so I followed the guide to build my own dist from the src. The guide for this is pretty straight forward.

I grab the tools and the trunk and it build myself. And it works then. I am not sure why it says my gwt is at version 0.0.0 though.

At this point I think GWT is definitely a tool that is not getting enough attention than it should. As my first adventure, I am going to play with the samples. Next, my killer 2.0 app. :-D

No comments: